Burning sensation in eyes
Symptoms of burning sensation in eyes
The symptoms of this problem are given below.
- Itchy eyes
- Burning sensation
- Excessive watering/dryness
- Pain only when exposed to bright light
- Stinging sensation when exposed to fast blowing air
- Blurred vision
Reasons for burning sensation in eyes
There are many reasons why a burning sensation might develop in the eyes. Let us have a look at those reasons.
- When dryness is experienced along with the burning sensation in eyes it indicates lack of enough moisturisation.
- Allergic reactions such as conjunctivitis, viral infection, bloodshot eyes and cold and flu.
- Normal ageing
- Certain medication
- Ultra violet rays exposure
- Tanning lamp exposure
- Arc welding equipment exposure
- Vision problems
- Sitting for long hours in front of the computer
- Dust particles
Treatment for burning sensation in eyes
There are a number of ways through which you can treat the burning sensation in eyes. They are discussed below.
- Splashing cold water in eyes
- Putting a few drops of cool rose water in eyes
- Putting a few drops of aloe vera juice directly into the eyes
- Putting cucumber slices over closed eyes
- Putting eye cleansing eye drops as directed by the physician
- Take an ice cube and wrap it up in a clean cloth and put it on the closed eyelids
- A warm compress over the eyelids using lavender oil or chamomile.
- Hot fermentation with a warm cloth. Note that the cloth must not be too hot
- Drinking carrot juice improves the vision hence giving less chances for the burning sensation to develop
- If the burning sensation happens because of sitting for long hours in front of the computer or television, take a break and lie down with closed eyes for some time
- Washing eyes with cooled elderberry blossom tea for soothing the eyes
- Washing eyes with honey mixed with water
- Covering eyes by wearing sunglasses whenever you step out to avoid the dust particles from entering the eyes.
- Washing eyes several times a day with cool water.
If the problem of burning sensation still persists in the eyes visit an eye specialist immediately.