How to fix a zipper on jeans
On the breakage of a zipper from jeans, it is very difficult to repair it. It is always better to change the zipper altogether.
Process of how to fix zipper on jeans
Given below is the complete process on how to fix zipper in jeans.
- With the use of seam ripper, rip out all the threads that were sewed together to fix the zipper. Rip out only the thread that holds the ripper and not the jeans. Usually you will notice that the thread is clearly different in colour from the thread used in tailoring the jeans.
- Now use the scissors to cut out the zipper from the jeans in the places where you cannot use the seam ripper. Stay as close as possible to the seam as that makes the job all the more easier.
- Once you remove the zipper from the jeans, make sure that the other threads are intact in their place; otherwise you would need to fix those threads too.
- Now take the new zipper and put it along the place you need to put it to ensure the size is correct. As you find thing correct start with fixing the zipper on jeans. Put some stitches at the bottom of the zipper against the jeans. This is to prevent it from moving from its correct position and coming off. These stitches can either be stitched with hand or machine as per your convenience. The strongest kind of stitch that will hold the zipper well in place is the zig-zag stitching.
- Now fold over the flap of the zipper and place it on the place you want to fix it on the jeans with pins. Use the sewing machine to stitch the side of zipper on its correct place. Make two or three passes from the sewing machine to fasten the zipper on its place. You can also do another stitching process with hand to further increase its fixing strength and to make sure that it never rips off.
- Repeat the same process on the other side of the zipper and you’re done!