How to make butter at home
Worrying over going all the way to supermarket just to bring some butter home?
Do you always fret that a simple thing as butter wastes most of your time as you have to fetch it from the market all the time?
Its time you set aside all worries and take a simple solution out that ensures good health, good value for money and not great efforts. Prepare some at home itself!
Butter is made of cream and cream is what comes out of the milk that you buy daily. So what you are doing is extracting the best out of what is available in your own home! If you purchase cow milk daily start purchasing buffalo milk instead, as buffalo milk contains more cream as compared to cow milk. In the process of preparing butter the first step is to extract cream out of the milk that you have.
Extracting the cream from the milk
- Heat milk to boil and cool it.
- Till the time the milk will cool to the room temperature you will see a layer of cream at the top.
- Take all the cream out and store in some other air tight container in the freezer of your refrigerator.
- If you follow this simple procedure daily, within a week you will see that you have collected enough cream to make butter out of it.
How to make butter from cream extracted from milk
Take out the container of cream from the freezer and let it come up to the room temperature. Be in no hurry and let it come to room temperature naturally. Remember not to heat it.
- When the cream comes to room temperature put all of it in a blender and start blending. Stop in a few seconds and again start blending.
- By repeating this procedure several times you will find butter forming and collecting at the top of the cream inside the blender.
- When enough butter is formed, add some water to it and again start blending.
- After blending for a few more seconds you will find a good amount of butter floating on top.
- Take the butter out of the blender and put it in a bowl having cool water in it.
- Take out the left over water after having cleaned the butter in the water properly.
- This clean butter is now ready to be used.
Important Points to remember
- The water in which the butter is cleaned is called the butter milk and can be used in making ‘Chhas’.
- The butter should be cleaned thoroughly to avoid it getting spoiled or having bad odour.
- The final product, the clean, ready to use butter can be kept out for 2-3 days. If refrigerated will last longer.
- If you do not wish to refrigerate the butter add salt to it to make it last longer while it is kept outside.
- Butter can be made into different shapes to lure children into having this form of a healthy food.
- Different shapes can be made if the butter is stored in a container of the similar shape and then refrigerated. In such a way the butter will solidify and take that shape and children will be happy to have it.