Indian Institute Of Technology, Kharagpur
The oldest and the most historic IITs of all, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur holds utmost significance nationally. Its strict and elaborated curriculum with one of the best faculties among all IITs is known widely by one and all.
History of IIT-KGP
Before we got our national independence from the British, Mr. B.C Roy, Humayun Kabir and Jogendra Singh together formed a committee, consisting of 22 members, which was headed by Nalini Ranjan Sarkar to promote technical studies in India.
With great efforts of B.C Roy, by the Government of India, was formed, what we are proud of today, the first Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur which is known as IIT-KGP. This institute was initially located in Calcutta (now called, Kolkata). Later on it got shifted to Hijli, Kharagpur, 120 kilometres from Kolkata, where its historic and timeless campus stands today. Its first batch had 224 students in total. There were only 10 departments at that time.
Its administration, departments, library and classes were located in Hijli Detention Camp which is now called ‘Shaheed Bhawan’. This was the place where revolutionaries were imprisoned before independence. It is now a museum. The today’s office building was once bomber command headquarters. The campus which we can see today was designed by a Swiss architect named Werner M. Moser.
Organisational Functioning of IIT-KGP
IIT Council directly governs the Board of Governors of IIT, Kharagpur. It includes 13 representatives from Orissa, Jharkhand West Bengal and Bihar. The rest of the administrative and organisational staff remains the same like the one in IIT-Bombay. For more details see the article ‘Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay’.
Performance Evaluation System of IIT-KGP
The institute follows a credit assigning system for evaluating students. Each subject has been allotted its share of credits. The total score is depicted in grades and the grade value, which is out of 10, is assigned to marks in their particular range. The students are awarded marks by the weighted average of overall marks secured. This system is called Grade Point Average (GPA). Every semester students get evaluated on the basis of GPA.
The institution has 19 academic departments, 8 multi disciplinary centres and 13 schools of excellence. The major ones are listed below:
- The Vinod Gupta School of Management
- Rural Development Centre
- Rubber Technology Centre
- Reliability Engineering Centre
- Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law
- Physics and Meteorology
- Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
- Mining Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Medical Science and Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science
- Information Technology
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agriculture and Food Engineering
- Architecture and Regional Planning
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Cryogenic Engineering
- Centre for Educational Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering
- G S Sanyal School of Telecommunications
- Geology and Geophysics
- Humanities and Social Sciences
Courses Available at IIt Kharagpur and Related Information
IIT-KGP is listed in LAOSTE which means students from Asia and Europe can come here and study and students from here can go and study there. The Programs offered in IIT-KGP are:
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch)
Post Graduate Programs:
- Master of Technology (M.Tech)
- Master of Technology (M.Sc)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT)
- Master in Medical Science and Technology (MMST)
- Master in City Planning (MCP)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law (PGDIPL)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Maritime Operation and Management (PGDMOM)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
IIT, Kharagpur offers dual degree programs too which can be done through Vinod Gupta School of Management and Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, which has collaboration with the George Washington University.
IIT KGP Alumni Association
Just like IIT, Bombay, alumni of IIT, Kharagpur also have an association called ‘The Alumni Network’. They keep in contact with all the alumni of the institute and often arrange reunions and institute related initiations and activities. Alumni meets take place here where alumni bond over the lost time and the institute faculty also get involved. The staff and the alumni share a strong bond of love and respect and through meetings initiate together various programs for IIT-Kharagpur to prosper.
Contact information IIT KGP
Address: Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur- 721302
Academic Related Queries
Email: email@example.com, Telephone Numbers: 03222-282102, 281880, 282101
Post graduate Courses in IIT KGP
Phone No: 03222-255221, 255303, 282758.