Medical care during pregnancy
Medical care is important for the health of both mother and baby. This medical care can begin before you are actually pregnant. However, it really must begin as soon as you know you are pregnant in order to help insure that you have a healthy pregnancy.
During your first visit, your doctor will gather information about:
- Your disease history
- Personal habits (smoking habit, alcohol consumption and drug use)
- Exercise habits
- The type of work that you do
- Family history (diseases like diabetes, blood pressure, heart diseases), complicated pregnancy in close relatives
- Any previous pregnancies, miscarriages, and abortions you may have had.
- Complications that you may have experienced during previous pregnancies.
- Your doctor may perform an ultrasound test, and or blood tests. A pelvic exam is also sometimes performed.