Metallic taste in mouth
Reasons for metallic taste in mouth
The reasons that result in metallic taste in mouth are given below.
- Dental caries
- Copper toxicity
- Fluctuation in Oestrogen levels
- Lead poisoning
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Mercury poisoning
- Medications like prenatal vitamins, anti-depressants, antibiotics etc.
- Poor oral hygiene
- Postnasal drip
- Selenium overuse
- Tooth abscess
- Scombrotoxic fish poisoning
- Oral infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis
- Any other dental conditions
Treatment for metallic taste in mouth
This problem is more common than we could imagine. Many people suffer from this problem yet find no cure for this. Some ignore it not considering it serious enough and deal with it. As the metallic taste in mouth causes no serious damage to health, this problem is often ignored by most people. There are some easy remedies to this problem that can help one overcome the metallic taste in mouth. Find these remedies given below.
- Citrus juices and food made in vinegar does great wonders to the metallic taste in mouth. You can have orange juices, lemon juice and such vinegar marinated foods to beat this problem as they help in saliva production washing away the metallic taste in mouth.
- It is best to use a tongue cleaner every time you brush your teeth. In fact if you start cleaning your tongue after every meal the results will come out to be even better helping you fight off metallic taste in mouth very effectively.
- Using mint flavoured mouth washes works effectively too. You can alternatively rinse mouth with salted water that you use for gargles. Salt helps cut the metallic taste in mouth.
- Drinking lots of water helps cure the problem of acidity hence warding off the metallic taste in mouth caused by acidic reactions in oesophagus and stomach. The acidic juices produced in the stomach are a major cause of the metallic taste.
- Rinsing mouth with 1/4th spoon of baking soda mixed in eight ounces of water too works very well in dispelling the metallic taste in mouth.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables must be included in your diet to avoid any gastric and other stomach related problems that trigger this problem.
- Maintaining oral hygiene is very beneficial in getting rid of metallic taste problem and all sorts of dental conditions and problems.
- Chewing raw cloves and cinnamon in small quantities too is very helpful but also note that this is just a temporary solution to the problem.
- If the problem persists and is affecting you adversely it is best to visit a doctor and get a check-up followed by diagnosis done.